[SEL] Re: Secure Pictures and Manuals

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 17:32:48 PST 2005

Peter,

I hate to say it, but I think you are destined to failure on this. I can
rip a dual layer 7.5 Gig commercial movie, and burn it to my single
layer DVD. In the process I strip all copy protection and region codes.
The program I use is free. If I can beat that copy protection, I doubt
we will ever come up with anything that will prevent the dishonest from
using our data as they wish.

Jerry probably has the best solution.

>What I plan on doing is to add the words "Downloaded free from
>www.oldengine.org - not for resale" on to every page as well as
>superimposing it onto all illustrations (of course, in such a way that it
>does not cover any important part of the illustration).

It won't prevent copies, but will make them work for their money. Most
thiefs are lazy, so this should work to some extent. I'll link to an
example in a bit, and you guys can play with cleanup.

Jeff