[SEL] Spyware Removal Software?

David Tiefenbrunn davidtief at abac.com
Sat Feb 26 20:53:37 PST 2005

This is a late addition, but here's a bunch of stuff I found and dealt with
recently.

I recently set up a "new" computer with win 2000, and in about 3 hours on
the web, IE got hijacked.  I never had a problem with my old win3.1
machine, or my win 98 machine..  Still downloading 27mb of updates as I
type...

It is important to download from a trusted site - there are a bunch of
alleged spyware removal tools that are actually spyware!

PCWorld home page has links to all kinds of this stuff:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/index/0,00.asp

Downloads, help forums, information:
http://www.computertalkwithtab.com/

they tested and recommend the new free microsoft anti spyware program.

A bunch of information, links ratings:

Some anti spyware programs:

Adaware SE personal
AdwareAway

http://www.adwareaway.com/

This one is a shareware that took out the about:blank hijack that I got.  I
still have things to fix, but IE doesn't crash anymore...

CWShredder
Hijackthis
KRC Hijack This Analyzer
About Buster
hsremove

ssfsetup
This one is a subscription service, but the free trial version found a few
things.

reglite
Fancier registry editor.

I have joined :
http://www.techsupportforum.com
They are helping me fix the part of the hijack that made it so I can't
access the trusted sites thingy in IE.  They walked me through a process to
get rid of some of the remaining spywares and hijacks that the other things
listed above didn't get.  Mostly using Spybot S&D.  After they confirmed
that my system was clean,  they had me upgrade IE, and that fixed the sites
button.

I am running Firefox, but need IE for a couple of sites.  Also, the
bleeping thing should work.

Also, set all the security stuff to high, then when a site complains, go to
trusted sites and add it.

Dave

David Tief.  N1WWY
Visit our web page at: http://users.abac.com/dandatief