[SEL] Fairbank Morse Z Style D (ShoeBox/SaltBlock) Status Update

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 19:25:04 PST 2005

Hi List,
Finally, the Fairbanks Morse Z Style D (ShoeBox/SaltBlock) has been
completely disassembled.  All the springs (governor, compensating, and  throttle
control) except for the valve springs and the speed control spring were  unusable.
The governor spring came out in many pieces.  New ones have  been ordered.
Some previous owner had installed the valve adjust shims in the  wrong order.
 The valve stems actually worn through the thin shims.   The thick shim is
the one that should make contact with the valve  stem.
The air fuel mixer valve butterfly was frozen and would not  move.  After a
little careful application of the "flame wrench",  penetrating oil, and a
soaking in carburetor cleaner, the butterfly valve seems  to operate correctly.
The governor control rod and throttle  activating assembly were also frozen.
Again the heat wrench came to  my aid.  All parts are free.  The bolt that holds
the throttle  activating assembly to the governor control rod snap during
removal.   Luckly, heating the unit with the flame wrench and application of
penetrating  oil, then being able to grab a part of the broken bolt with vise
grips, it was  removed.
The bearing surfaces on the camshaft have been polish.  There  are rust pot
holes on some of the surfaces.  However, since this engine  will not be
operated in a work environment, these defects will not  matter.
Since the timing gear on the crankshaft was damaged, inquiries were  made as
the availability of a replacement usable unit.  Fortunately for me,  one of
the members of our local engine club (Central Coast Vintage Machinery
Association, Inc.) had a complete crankshaft assembly which he let me have for  this
engine.  The crankshaft bearing surfaces have to be polished and one  of the
main bearing has to be replaced.  A replacement bearing has been  ordered.
The governor assembly seems to be in fairly decent condition.   None of the
weights are deteriorated and work freely.  There are two cotter  pins which are
installed as to prevent the governor weight pins from  rotating.  Does anyone
why this was done in this manner?
The magneto still has to be checked.  The alloy magneto  gear has little or
no deterioration.
No timing marks seem to be visable.  Does this  engine have timing marks on
the timing gears or magneto gear?  If there are  no timing marks, how is this
engine timed?

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA