[SEL] Patterns #5

Missy Holland mholland at rustyiron.com
Thu Feb 24 06:15:00 PST 2005

Curt forgot one little detail about using plaster to make the core
box.  In order to complete the drying,  the box spent at least 24 hours
in my kitchen oven at 150 degrees.  So don't try this if the wife will
not let you use the oven.

Missy Holland
Gastonia, NC

> Well guys, this is the last of the 5 patterns on the Stickney
conversion
> project. This documents the pattern making work to create a new
funnel
> that sits on top of the water hopper on a 5HP Stickney.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/PatternMaking/Funnel/Thu
mbnails.html
> You'll see I only created the portion of the funnel that is visible.
> choose not to cast the intricate details that extend down inside the
> hopper below the waterline. In my opinion that part was over
engineered.
> Anyone really know what that was for? I can only assume it was
intended
> to get cooler water down low when refilling the hopper?
>
> This was the first poured core box I did. Knowing the low volume of
> cores to be made (perhaps 1 part) I tried to keep the cost low by
using
> plaster. Don't think I'll try that again! There was more damage than
> liked when removing the core plug. This meant a good deal of patch
work
> after to ready it for the foundry. The good news was that the core
plug
> came out in one piece. At least it can be reused if another core box
is
> needed.
>
> The complete series of 5 parts can be found on this page:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/PatternMaking/Thumbnails
.html