[SEL] Creating Antique Patina - Reverse Electrolysis

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Feb 23 18:35:44 PST 2005

That works great to rust iron or steel. So will any kind of "browning"
solution. An old favorite of many gunsmiths is urine.

Something I discovered when I was around 13 that'll almost instantly
turn iron to rust is Clorox (sodium hypochlorite) mixed with vinegar to
produce free hypochlorous acid. I took that a step further, having
discovered electrolysis, and hooked up iron as the anode in a Clorox
bath with a 6V battery. That'd make it melt away to red rust at an
incredibly fast rate. Too much rust for just making a "patina," but if
you really want nasty, pitted "antiquing," try it!

John

On Feb 23, 2005, at 2:32 AM, Rob Skinner wrote:

> Been playing in the garage with engines, metal and electricity.
>
> http://engines.rustyiron.com/-electrolysis
>
> Have fun, work safe.
> Rob

John Culp