[SEL] Creating Antique Patina - Reverse Electrolysis

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Feb 23 06:36:46 PST 2005

Wow Rob, as usual you do beautiful documentation of your projects.
It is intestesting that you have to set up a process to create rust out
west due to living in a very low humidity environment. Here in the east
we only have to set a new part out the back door for a few weeks and
between the humidity, rain, and heat we''ve quickly got a rusty chuck of
iron laying there.

Would be interested to see how a fresh casted and then shot or sand
blasted part looks in your reverse electrolysis process. Blasted parts
I've set out the back door to rust come out too orange for my
preference. Think your rusting method might create a darker rust?

Tell us more about the polish and oil combination you used to create the
old patina?
Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC