[SEL] sorta O/T but safety related and bizarre

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Feb 22 09:23:59 PST 2005

You're right Bill but by looking at the photos, the rear cross member (I
don't think its simply the bumper) he was jacking up was as close to the
frame as he could probably get.  I'm just thankful that the ball popped
out in this process instead of him traveling down the road at 65 mph and
lose 2 tons of iron behind him.  Losing the iron wouldn't be a big issue
as I've lost some of it in the past.  But, if a runaway trailer were to
cross a median and hit an oncoming vehicle the results could be tragic.
I know Jim Withers had a ball come off of a pickup once and he had a 15
HP Famous on a trailer behind him.  He told me he felt it jolt and when
he looked in his rear view mirror he saw the trailer flipping over in
the median and flywheel pieces were flying everywhere.  It made a junker
out of a good engine.  No one was hurt so the end result wasn't as bad
as it possibly could have been.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY