[SEL] sorta O/T but safety related and bizarre

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Tue Feb 22 08:53:57 PST 2005

Rick,

On Saturday I jacked up the rear of my pickup by the receiver hitch.  So
you're not alone in doing so.  However, I didn't take pictures ;-)

In my case I was replacing the rear spring shackles, so jacking up the
differential would not have helped at that point.  I did jack up the
differential, but that was later when I needed to raise it to get the
top shackle bolts out.

I did use jack stands after I had raised the rear of the pickup enough
to get the tires just off the ground, so I suppose that technically I
could have used the differential for jacking since the jack stands were
what ultimately held the rear of the pickup up.

I've had enough complaints from people saying that my truck rode like a
truck, which it does.  So I installed some Velvet Ride spring shackles.
In the few short trips I've made after installing the new shackles, I'm
convinced they work pretty well at smoothing out the ride when running
without a load in the pickup bed.

Email me off list if you want more Velvet Ride info.  I'd rather see
engine postings on the list than more off topic stuff.  Just wanted to
let Rick and others know he wasn't alone in lifting by the hitch. He's
still alone in taking pictures! ;-)  ( wonder what else he takes
pictures of when he's doing it? )

WAIT George