[SEL] rear tool post...deviates!!!!

Prepair Ltd prepair at easynet.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 07:39:39 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:11:22 -0500, you wrote:

>Peter,
>
>> the main idea being that they don't lift the headstock
>>shaft when cutting metal as they are on the other side of the job
>>compared with the normal turning tool.
>>

>Peter & Peter,
>OK I'll bite, how are parting forces different than regular turning
>forces? Both exert the same tendence to lift the headstock. But is this
>a problem? I've seen a few of the back parting setups mentioned and just
>figured it was a time saving thing....eliminating a tool change. You got
>my curiosity up.
>Curt Holland
>Gastonia, NC

Draw a piece of bar looking from the stailstock end of the lathe,
direction of rotation anticlock looking at the end.

Draw a tool cutting from the left hand side, the reaction to the cut
is to lift the bar vertically?

Then do the same on the opposite side of the bar, keeping the rotation
the same but with the tool inverted, the reaction is downwards?

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK