[SEL] Re: Pattern #2

Graham Harris ozengine at yahoo.com.au
Sat Feb 19 04:30:12 PST 2005

Hi Curt

Thanks from me too for those great casting pattern
pictures, be looking at'em again. I have been making
quite a few patterns lately, with quite a bit of
success. Glad to see your using the metal lathe for
wood turning as I do. Also, no reference in my casting
book here of a "follow board". With my patterns I use
wood, tube, anything with body filler, screws and
plaster and I fet them to the engine as if it was an
actual part. I then bog up the holes etc.

The castings turn out OK cast "loose", with a finish
that matches the style of the rest of the engine
parts. My foundry blokes don't seem to have a problem
with "loose" casting. Sometimes I get the gate runner
(cutoff) in a place where I don't expect so I try to
specify it where I can, but always assume the moulder
knows better. Parting lines rarely turn up right on
the centreline except if the part (pattern) is flat on
one side. I might give the follow board a go next time
and see what happens.

Thanks again

Graham in Oz

Message: 7