[SEL] OT (Maybe) - Home Workshops & Equipment

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 02:39:53 PST 2005

I got into this hobby about 14 years ago, soon realized I would need equipment to restore engines. I now have an 11" South Bend lathe, a 14" Hendey from WW2, a 20x120" Monarch waiting to be set up, a South Bend shaper, Enco mill, Sunnen rod honing machine, two automotive boring bars, and a flame spray metalizing rig. Most of my equipment was picked up on swap deals, some of it given to me. The latest boring bar is a Van Norman Jumbo 888, 7.5 X 18" capacity. I inherited this when a friend and club member died. The catspaws were stripped, found a used set on the net and got it working. This is a heavy machine and does a beautiful job, bored one of my engines last week and installed a sleeve for a friend this weekend. I use my equipment for my business and pleasure, it's the most enjoyable part of the hobby. If things go as planned I would like to use the equipment for sleeving, boring and flame spraying when I retire.
J.B. Castagnos