[SEL] More engine colors

Richard Allen linstrum55 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 20:14:21 PST 2005

My Caterpillar engines came in both yellow and gray. The little
1918-vintage overhead cam four cylinder Hall-Scott belonging to a buddy
is gray with red lettering. In the nearby oil field the giant V-10 and
V-12 11.5-inch bore x 11-inch stroke Fairbanks-Morse natural gas
engines that run the natural gas compressors are tan (only in my dreams
could I ever afford to either own one or pay for the fuel one of those
burns!), the one Roline I ever saw was white. The Allis-Chalmers farm
engines I have seen were all orange, the Minneaplis-Moline ones were
dark brown. My Indian-made G-G Automotive Gears manufactured "caste
iron" clone of the Petter 24/2 is a beautiful dark metallic green.