[SEL] A visit with Charlie

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Fri Feb 11 14:35:32 PST 2005

I found myself in the Boston are, from Indiana, for a few days while my
wife is attending a workshop.  I have visited Charlie at his home west of
St. Louis a few years ago and always visiting with him at Portland and
other shows.  I decided what better way to spend some time than visiting
with a ill friend.
I got to the hospital about 10:45 AM.  Mass. General is one big hospital,
there were 10 ambulances at the emergency room entrance.  I got Charlies
room # from the info desk and headed to his room.  He is in the cardiac
step down unit.  When I got to his room the nurse was just finishing his
bath.  I ask her if I could visit with him.  She indicated that it would be
a few minutes before she was done with him and she'd come to the waiting
room and get me when she was done.  After waiting for almost 2 hours, I
checked on him several times but someone was always working on him, I
finally found him alone.  He was sitting in a chair next to the bed looking
at his lunch tray.  It seems the strong antibiotics he has been on has
killed his appetite.  He recognized me and we had a real nice visit, talked
about his health, his move to Maine and of course engines.  He seems to be
doing very well.  He will be in this room until Monday when he will be
transferred to the cardiac rehab therapy unit.  He'll probably be there for
a week or so before heading home.  He is planning on being at his usual
spot at Portland this summer.
So, it looks like it will take more than a leaky valve to get this old
engine guy down.  After all valve jobs are standard on most of the
restorations we do. :-)  I'm just wondering if the doc is going to give him
a slick paint job or just leave him in "as found" condition.
Keith