[SEL] Engine colors

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 14:55:18 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:26:23 -0800, you wrote:

>I know that the shade of color used by some manufacturers would vary
>from time to time since some bought their paint from whoever gave them
>the best deal, or it could vary just because someone different was
>mixing the paint.
>
>However.... Were there any manufacturers that didn't have a specific
>color which identified their engines?
>
>As an example, I've heard that Samson engines made in California were
>painted various colors depending on what they had on hand.  Anyone else
>heard this or have information on this?
>
>George

A lot of UK manufacturers would paint their engines to suit specific customer's
requirements, so that Bamford would paint it's engines Grey that went to Millars
Machinery, while other customers would get the standard Mid Brunswick Green.

Villiers supplied their engines to OEM's in primer.

Lister nearly always painted theirs in Mid Brunswick Green, except for some
engines that went to Post Office Telephones (the predecessor to British Telecom)
which would have been Black or Grey, engines for Admiralty use that would have
been Light Admiralty Grey (BS381C Shade 697)

Petters painted some of their engines Red instead of the slightly lighter Light
Brunswick Green or Apple Green.

Gardners and Ruston & Hornsby used a variety of colours over the years, the deep
maroon of the early Hornsbys is particularly nice on a big engine, the later
engines like my own are an Apple Green with White, Yellow and Green lining out.

The very large Crossleys and Nationals were a dark green.

The majority of UK manufacturers used standard industrial colours, most of which
were detailed in BS381C and BS4800. The reason that Brunswick Green was so
popular, is that it was available in 3 distinct shades 225, 226 and 227 and it
was used for a lot of Military hardware as well, so it became a very well known
and available series of colours.

Peter

--
Peter & Rita Forbes