[SEL] Belt Dressing

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 7 04:39:15 PST 2005

Dave Mayfield wrote:

>Where can I buy old fashion belt dressing?
>
>This weekend as the weather was so nice 56 and sunny here. Western Illinois. I thought I had better make good use of it. So Friday morning after I fed my Chickens and the dog, and while the ground was frozen somewhat. I moved all my equipment in place, so on Saturday I could grind some chicken feed. I use my John Deere 48 b and an old Letz 220 grinder, anyone ever was one of these. Works real well, only trouble I have is that I don't have any good belt dressing. I was using a spray can of dressing, but it's not for big belts. If I put to much corn in the hopper I would loose traction and things would GRIND to a halt. My daughter took some pictures, and I uploaded them to my server if you would like to have a look. So any one know where I can order the good stuff?

I can not recommend this, but on the farm in the dear old bye and bye,
my mate used to set alight to a strip of old car inner tube twisted
around the end of a longish piece of #8 fencing wire and let the molten
rubber drip onto the belt face as it ran, driving a saw bench from the
old Fordson Major.

Made a lovely Ssshhhriiiking noise and it sure made the belt grip, but
he stood well back from the action (I did say a      l   o   n   g
piece of wire . .

We made our own fun, in those days! Never would have dreamt of buying
anything that could be done for nothing! (Couldn't afford to, anyhow).

Don't try this at home, kiddies.

JW²