[SEL] Bamford EV1 valve timing

sutter sutter6 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 4 05:43:54 PST 2005

Hello SEL

I am in the process of re-assembling a Bamford 2hp vertical EV1 engine.

The large cam gear has a "drill" mark that lines up with the top of the
cam on the other side - it seems to be for timing purposes.
My question is - what do you line this mark up with ? - I have 3 of
these gears and they all have the same mark.

There are no marks on the crankshaft gear ( I have 3 crankshafts as
well). I do have the instruction manual which has a timing diagram ie.
Ex. closing 8 degrees after TDC - IN opening 8 degrees BTDC etc. -  but
makes no mention of any timing marks.

 The 2 valves are opening around when they should be (Ex - 45 - before
BDC , In - 8 before TDC ) but seem to be closing too soon ie. Ex is
closing around 15 degrees before TDC not 8 degrees after TDC and In is
closing around 15 degrees after BDC not 45 degrees after BDC - the cam
is new (old stock) and cam slippers are in OK condition. I have set the
tappet clearances at TDC on compression at .030 as per book.

When pulling the engine to bits I did mark the gears and reinstalled
them the same way but the timing seems out - if I move the cam gear one
or two  teeth it will throw the valve openings out which seem pretty
right at the moment.

Any suggestions from Bamford experts or any one else would be great and
should the cam gear timing mark line up with anything ?

Thanks

Rod Sutter
Melbourne, Australia
sutter6 at bigpond.net.au