[SEL] Re: OT - AC Mains Supplies in the USA (Non-Domestic)

Prepair Ltd prepair at easynet.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 09:15:02 PST 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:44:31 -0800, you wrote:

>Peter - Most industrial supply in the US is 440 wye 60 Hz.  That being
>said I'd suggest you ask the customer what it will be or who his
>electrical supplier is and then ask them.  The supply depends a bit on
>the age of the construction and some buildings are 220 volt wye 60 hz.
>3 phase is standard in the USA for larger loads like 200 kw, but it
>could be either 220 or 440.

Thanks for that, I also asked Tim in Ca to have a look at his
utilities panel, but he went up on the roof and checked the fan motors
on the aircon!  460V Nominal, range of operation 440 to 480V 60Hz. The
charger will be OK on 440V 50Hz and 460V 60Hz, running slightly cooler
on the higher frequency as usual.

>A question for you.  I ran into a water pump from India.  I'm told its
>an Indian design based on a clone of a standard Petter engine but
>modified for cost and efficiency.  [Note - the cam shaft end is not
>exposed and the fly wheel location has been moved] The idea being it's
>to become a standard for third world countries.   I'm not a guru on the
>subject and was wondering which Petter does it look to have come from?
>There are two models, 2.6 and 3.5 hp both which look the same.  [1100
>and 1500 rpm]

It was the AV1 and the AVA1 engines, originally sold by Kirloskar as
agents for Petters, then they started making them themselves when the
licencing agreement ran out. Same with the Lister engines but a
different agency handled them.

AV1 was water-cooled, AVA1 was aircooled.

>BTW - Also ran into the Indian clone of the 6.5 hp Lister CS.

>Regards,
>
>Bob

Thanks,

Peter