[SEL] Re: Buzz Coil Tester (for Dave)

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Tue Feb 1 17:41:58 PST 2005

>     I think as a rough guestimate you can figure about 15,000 volts
> per centimeter of spark in normal atmospheric air - 70 degrees and
> 50% humidity. It has been a while but that is what I remember.
>
> Bob Willman
I ran some buzz coils on my shop scope years ago, seams like they were 10 to 12kv. They give the impression of a hotter spark because when they're buzzing you can ionize the air and draw a long spark. Even though it's firing a 3/4" gap, it's still only firing 12kv. If you were to hold it away from ground and start bringing it in, the gap at which it starts firing would be much smaller than the gap it will fire as you draw it away. The gap it starts firing at is an indication of the actual output.
J.B. Castagnos