[SEL] OT - what is NPT REALLY..........

William Olson weolson at wiktel.com
Tue Feb 1 15:55:50 PST 2005

Just to add some confusion to the thread, no pun intended, I'll add the
following info:  I am a licensed electrician and looking in the National
Electrical Code book under IMC or Rigid conduit about threading pipe
(conduit), it states the following.  "Where conduit is threaded in the
field, a standard cutting die with a taper of 1 in 16 (3/4 inch per
foot) shall be used.  Fine Print Note: See ANSI/ASME B.1.20..1-1983,
Standard for Pipe Threads, General Purpose (Inch)."
   I don't know if this helps or hinders the ongoing diolog, but I give
it for what it's worth.
William Olson, Roosevelt, MN