[SEL] Re: Unearthing a Horde of Engines

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 30 10:07:26 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnie Fero" <fero_ah at city-net.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 2:24 PM
Subject: [SEL] Re: Unearthing a Horde of Engines

Very very big Snip

> The bottom line is that they are still out there in the wild and the hunt
> can be as much fun as the find.
> Go for it!!  And be sure to post the tales of the hunts and the finds.
> Anyone else have any thoughts to share on how to find engines in the wild?
> One of the wildest I ever heard of was a buddy of Craig Prucha who would
> go up in an ultralight in the dead of winter flying over the woods looking
> for oilfield engines and power houses.  He found quite a few that way.
> Don't forget to visit those backwoods country bars and buy rounds of
> drinks.  Those hunters may have seen flywheels while tracking deer.  8-))
> See ya,  Arnie

25 years ago there were still engines to be found on farms in England  & I covered many
miles searching to find the many engines I owned over the years.
The hardest thing in the early days was when I offered a good price to a farmer he would never sell.
After a while I cottoned on and started offering 1/3 or 1/2 of the value of the engine.
Farmers do not believe that an offered price is the correct price.
I started upping my offers in stages & arguing & eventually I usually bought the engine for less than what
I would have offered in the early days. The farmer was happy he had knocked the price up!
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv