[SEL] Flywheel dangers

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Thu Dec 29 19:50:20 PST 2005

Oh, I run mine on kerosene, and even replumbed the water line as it
originally was. It's not worthwhile for the reasons you stated, but
it's great fun to do it the old way.

Any knocking beyond a slight rattle reduces engine power and efficiency
considerably, and the kerosene burns more slowly because it's only
partially vaporized in the M at ignition. It runs hotter, the exhaust
"barks" more loudly, and it blows more fire out the exhaust. When you
have to run the water injection to stop knocking, it further slows fuel
evaporation and combustion and absorbs heat as it vaporizes.
Compensating for these effects is doubtless why IHC set the ignitor M
up with a fixed ignition timing 45° BTDC, which is certainly an
inefficient setting for normal running under load on gasoline at 600
RPM.

John

On Dec 29, 2005, at 10:31 PM, Rob Skinner wrote:

>> Now it's a good bit more expensive to run on
>> kerosene, and not worth the trouble and reduced
> performance.
>
> Not worth the trouble, John?  Oh my!  Some might say that
> running old engines isn't worth the trouble when you can get
> a brand new Honda motor that has five times the horsepower
> at 1/20 the weight.  In my opinion, running an engine on her
> intended fuel is a glorious thing.  Yep.  Downright
> wonderful.
>
> Now what's all this about "reduced performance?"  Just
> curious.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA