[SEL] Eng bearing cap info needed

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Mon Dec 26 06:42:05 PST 2005

Hi Cure,
         Shims were made (and can be made) out of many kinds of
material--metal, wood, gasket material and even cardboard. Many on the list
now prefer the "official" SEL shim stock--empty beer cans. This is not
really because the Al in beer cans is any better than any other material,
but rather because it's so much fun producing the shim stock.
         In any event, start with an approximate amount of shim material
and tighten one of the caps down to the proper tightness. Try to turn the
flywheels. If they will not turn add another shin and try again. Repeat
this process until the flywheels turn easily. Then go to the other side and
do the same thing. If, on the other hand, the flywheels turn freely when
you start, remove one shim at a time (tightening the cap each time) until
the flywheels bind up--then add back the last shim that you removed.
         I'm not sure what you mean by "make up new ones." I use a pair of
scissors. Good tin snips work well also. A hole punch of the proper size
for the studs helps a good bit. If I decided to use wooden shims I guess
that I would use a saw and drill press. Keep in mind that all of your shims
do not need to be the same thickness nor made out of the same material.
         Dave
PS, Anyone who suggests that you go to the auto store and purchase some
sort of material with which to measure (ie Plastagage [sp?]) does not
understand what it meant to own one of these engines in the teens or 20's!