[SEL] RE: Caille Upright

ROGER DIRUSCIO solarrog at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 23 11:29:37 PST 2005

Here is the link to some caille engines

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659491&a=31672891&f=

  here is a link to a Sandow
  http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1659491&a=32006548&f=0

  I hope its of some help

chuck emsweller <clemsweller at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Hey Arnie,

I will see about getting some recent pictures up. I have tried to get
some history on this particular engine, but have not been very
successful. I obtained it 4 years ago from a good friend that we have
shown engines with for the past 25 years. He had a stroke about 10
years ago and decided it was time to auction off most of his collection.
He can't talk or write anymore so I wasn't able to get much about where
we found it. We do see that he gets to 6-8 shows each year with us!

When I obtained the engine, it was missing the fuel injector nozzle. I
had just about given up on finding an original part and was prepared to
have one manufactured when by luck and my Dad's persistence, one was
found at Portland.

>From my research, I have found that Caille, Sundow, Detroit and Bessemer
all had the same basic engine, but that's about as far as I have been
able to discover. There was an article in the November 1999 "The Old
Machinery Magazine" by Fred Little about the restoration of a 1911 4hp
Caille. Mine looks pretty much like that one. But I believe it to be a
size smaller.

I will see about posting some pictures here in the next few days. If
you have any more history on these little engines, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Chuck Emsweller