[SEL] OHS gone mad

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Dec 21 18:37:24 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Cottrill" <adamcottrill at bigpond.com>
To: <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Cc: <sel-request at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:55 PM
Subject: [SEL] OHS gone mad

> Hi guys,
>            I think Peter was refering more to the American judicial
system and the way in which in some ways responability of ones actions
has been removed by Governments, I'm the first to say Australia isnt
immune and we all have stories of how people successfully sued and won
for seemingly stupid amounts of money and won.

> That being said if people are genuine and have been injured I feel
that they deserve compensation for it and I wish them all the best in
getting it.

> Further those of you who still have the stigma attached to the brain
that it is law that every engine compound has to be fenced and we dont
have guns here I think you need to look a little closer.

> Ill explain...
>
> The fences around engine compounds, IS ONLY a "guideline" for the
current policy of which over 8000 members of the National Historical
Machinery Assocition are a member of.

> Point 1. No one is forcing anyone to be a member, and if you wanted to
run a show in your back yard or any where and not be a member of the
association thats fine no one will stop you.

> Point 2. As mentioned above this ruling is only a guideline to protect
the insurance policy of the association that is getting close to
$100,000 per year for coverage and for $13 a member for full coverage I
think its a good wicket.

And in the US you can join a MUCH larger organization (EDGETA) and have
full insurance coverage and NO FENCES ARE "GUIDELINED"

> The association would like you to follow the guide line and when your
club signs up it is taken you will. However if you dont choose to follow
it (and this is your right) and something happens ie an accident the
policy will still pay out as itis broadform. The remifications beyond
this is that the total policy could be withdrawn, the price goes up of
the policy or the member club will be asked to leave the assoc.

Those restrictions and ramifications are why it is considered "law".

> The association has done this (and as many companys now do) by placing
guidelines in or in more complex terms a risk management policy you can
effectively reduce the cost of your premium by reducing the upfront
risk.

> And I know personally this is what Smorgans have done as one of the
companys I now work for carts scrap into Smorgans almost on a daily
basis, to them a 40% reduction in insurance premiums its worth someone
looking like a total tool in a red jacket.

> And finally guns, my family has been a hunting family for well since
they arrived here in the boat in 1788. My Mother was a state archery
champion and because of me (she was pregnaut at the time with me) missed
olympic final selection. My father has missed only 1 duck shooting
season in 55 years and my family has a swag of state and national clay
trap shooters to be proud of and have our own personal clay trap and a
line of goldern retreivers that are well know for there ability.

> My grandfather said to me when he taught me to shoot, "Adam if you
miss on the second shot it deserves to live!" yes I am a gun owner and I
have his remington left handed side be side.

> But what I cant understand is why in the state of Texas I would need
to own an anti tank gun? or and M16 full auto can someone please explain
this to me?

Because we have the RIGHT to own them.  It is a RIGHT, NEED has
absolutely nothing to do with it.

> Best wishes for the festive season,
>                                                  Adam

Sounds typical of the Liberal mindset that exists in some people in the
US.  I don't see a NEED for something so you are not allowed to
have/do/say/think it. Then they come up with the typical, well it is
done just to "help" some group or another. Hillary's group was "it's to
help the children" In your case the club is saying YOU WILL DO WHAT WE
TELL YOU OR ELSE. Sounds like the mob to me, or a union.