[SEL] RE: Ken's Kritters

Ken Christison christison at coastalnet.com
Sun Dec 11 12:09:48 PST 2005

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the comments re my kritters.  These pictures were all taken
with the Nikon D70 DSLR and most of the macro/closeup shots were
taken with the 200mm Micro Nikkor.  I recently got a 80-400 Nikkor
VR (vibration reduction) zoom which is taking some getting used to.  I
posted this picture to the Off topic list last night:
http://www.oldiron-nut.com/gallery/moon-cropped.jpg  I hope to get out
and get some decent wildlife shots with this combo as soon as deer season
is over and the threat of getting shot is over;-)  I just found out we have
bunch of otters in the creek near us, so am looking forward to getting in
the canoe and checking them, out.

The macro shots are taken from pretty close quarters.  The minimum focusing
distance with the Macro lens is about 10 inches which is a lot better than
the
shorter macro lenses.  Reduces the risk of bothering the kritters as well as
the chance of getting bit or stung.  Most of the lighting is natural, with
some
augmentation with the onboard flash.  I do need to get a good strobe, but
seem to feel the need for glass a little stronger.

This equipment isn't cheap, and I have had to sell a couple of cane mills
and
grist mills to help pay for them, but to me, it is well worth it.

Take care.

Ken

<sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>