[SEL] More springs

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Dec 7 17:56:41 PST 2005

> Thanks Dave, ice doesn't last very long down here, wax and balsa would
be too soft.  We have been discussing this locally, and lead and babbit
were mentioned, but it would require making a new form each time, I want
to do eight. Because of the barrel shape the guide threads will have to
be cut while controlling the depth by hand, although not critical as in
regular threads it would be time consuming to make eight. Then there's
the possibility of softening the spring when heating to melt the form
out. Just wondering how the factory did this in 1906.
> J.B. Castagnos

Probably used a spring former. Basically it feeds wire out into a set of
rollers that can be adjusted like a slip roll. The tighter they are set
the smaller the spring. By having the adjusting system controlled by
different cams you can form just about any spring shape you would ever
want. By using two sets of rollers you can alter the coil spacing. This
is still how many springs are formed today.

How about making the mandrel out of stacked washers. Then turn them to
shape with them bolted tight. and a pin to lock them in alignment. Turn
the spring on them and then take the bolt out and slip the washers
through the coils.