[SEL] More springs

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Wed Dec 7 03:42:42 PST 2005

>          How long does it take to wind a spring? If not too long then wind
> it around ice and then sit back and have a beer. If it takes a bit longer
> wind it around wax and then melt the wax. Or you could wind it around a
> piece of soft wood and then burn the wood out (balsa comes to mind.) The
> derivations seem endless, but hell, I've never wound a spring!
>          Dave

Thanks Dave, ice doesn't last very long down here, wax and balsa would be too soft.  We have been discussing this locally, and lead and babbit were mentioned, but it would require making a new form each time, I want to do eight. Because of the barrel shape the guide threads will have to be cut while controlling the depth by hand, although not critical as in regular threads it would be time consuming to make eight. Then there's the possibility of softening the spring when heating to melt the form out. Just wondering how the factory did this in 1906.
J.B. Castagnos