[SEL] Tod Engine Works Foundry

ED edstoller at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 6 16:49:13 PST 2005

The key here is the frequency of 3000 Hz. We usually think of Aluminum as
non-magnetic but at a 3KHz ( if that is the right number for aluminum), the
magnetic field produces a lot of heat by rapidly reversing the magnetic
field in the metal.  When I was going to school, I worked at an Alcoa
extrusion plant in the summer. Big ingots of aluminum were put in an
induction heater to get them hot before they were put in the chamber of a
2,000,000 pound extrusion press to be squirted thru a die.

The commercial power went to a big power supply that provided the high
frequency for the induction coil. The motor generator may be an over
simplification as a 4 pole 60 Hz motor would have to drive a 200 pole
generator unless the generator was excited at some high frequency. And they
are using this for stove tops now days?

Ed Stoller
New Fairfield, CT
http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/