[SEL] Tod Engine Works Foundry

Rick Rowlands jrrowlands at neo.rr.com
Sat Dec 3 17:45:15 PST 2005

Picture an electrical transformer with the secondary leads (the wires that
electricity come out of) wired together and short circuited.  Gets hot
pretty quick right!  That is an induction furnace.  The primary coil is the
copper coil which encircles the furnace crucible.  The secondary windings is
the metal that you want to melt.  As you put power to the coil the magnetic
fields move the electrons in the metal back and forth thousands of times per
second.  That banging and crashing of electrons back and forth creates heat
and continues to make heat until the metal melts.

The coil itself does not heat up, as a matter of fact water flows through
the coil to keep it cool. An inch or two away is molten metal ranging up to
3000 degrees.  The material that keeps the two seperated is Alumina, Al2 O3

The advantage of induction melting over any other form of melting is that
there are no products of combustion to contaminate the metal.  So what you
put in is what comes out, nothing more nothing less.  It is possible to very
accurately produce certain grades of steel with an induction furnace.

The disadvantage of induction melting is the three big copper wires that
come in from the road.  On my furnace the motor generator is driven by a
motor which draws 93 amps at 480 volts.  My minimum electric bill will be
$500 per month.  The reason there is a motor generator is to convert 480VAC
60 cycles to 400 VAC 3,000 cycles.

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Works
Makers of Quality iron, steel, ductile iron
and nonferrous castings
2261 Hubbard Road
Youngstown, OH  44505
330-728-2799