[SEl] - Interesting Brake Pad Wear Sensor Technology/Information

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 06:32:01 PST 2005

Hi List,
Some of the newer cars have sensors mounted on the brake pads to  let you
know that the pads need replacement.  On my car they  are located on the inter
pads.  These sensors are just wires molded in  a plastic piece that fits onto a
slot on the pad.  They are positioned so  that the rotor wears through the
sensor/plastic and breaks the circuit before  the worn brake pads backing metal
plate touches the rotor.
Needless to say, I didn't realize that the sensors actually wore  out and
needed replacing along with the pads.  Yes, after replacing the  pads, I was
still getting the notice to change out the brake pads.   Surprising, the
replacement sensors cost more than the brake pads.  The  parts house personnel where I
buy most of my parts were not aware that the  sensors had to be replaced along
with the pads.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA