[SEL] 454 engine specs.

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Aug 22 05:25:11 PDT 2005

Have a machine shop check the block - watch for core shift. I'd limit it
to .030 without it being checked, if they check and say it's ok, you can
go more.
Some blocks you are pushing it at .030 if the walls are thin.
You CAN thicken the walls a bit - there is a trick you can use - a
substance  to pour in the block and allow you to bore more.
I've seen SBC's seep water at only .040 over due to thin cylinder walls,
so it actually varies from block to block.

For our cars, we limit to .030-.040. We sleeve above that. Sleeving is
cheap and can get you back in specs fast. I've seen some 390's and 401's
go up to .060 over, but I'd not do it. Mine is .040 with one sleeve and
custom pistons. The nominal or sweet spot seems to be .040 for us. Almost
all after-market pistons are sold at .040.
Our blocks are pretty solid and are of high nickel content. They take
abuse pretty well.
Our 390 and 401 cranks are forged and withstand 7,000 rpm easily with
short bursts to 8,000 to 9,000 rpm. We've got no problem with .020 cranks.
If you polish off any rough spots and use an oil wiper, you can go faster.
Polish and shot-peen the rods and they'll withstand a lot.
Be sure to replace the rod, main and head bolts if you have any doubts. A
lot of folks like the ARP bolts.

I estimate my AMC 390 is cranking 350 hp and it's a cheap non-trick
rebuild using mostly stock parts, except for the pistons and cam. I did it
all for about 3 grand.

A lot depends on what you are looking for - what do you want it to do?
I wanted toss you in the back seat torque and second gear rubber with the
stock tranny and converter - and got it. The torque links keep the back
end planted firmly.

Bill