[SEL] 454 engine specs. and OT

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 21 20:44:15 PDT 2005

Hi Bill,

Quick rule of thumb from someone that does this for a living. The wanna
be mechanics and the ones that didn't make it can chime in later. Never
bore over .030 on the cylinders, and even then you can have heating
problems. You can get away with .020 on the crank, but I prefer no more
than .010 under. Stock 454 is one cheap horsepower engine, and the above
limits should work fine. Add $5000 and you'll be in the 500 c.i. range
with custom cranks, etc. Glad to help more off list if you need. The
above limits are what I use and the engines live.

Custom turbo Corvette, 7:1 turbo pistons, and it put you sideways when
you hammered second gear. Been a day or two but I can still drive em and
counter steer when they want to swap ends. Yi Haa!! Gettin to old for
that sh*t. I think my recommendations are good.

Jeff Allen

P.S. off list, whats it in?