[SEL] Galloway Ignitor Help Needed

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 11:26:20 PDT 2005

Hello Everybody,

I'm working a little bit on my 5hp Galloway round rod. The moveable shaft in
the ignitor was stuck so I took it off the engine, removed what I could and
put it in an electrolysis bath for a bit. Was then able to remove the
moveable shaft and the rest of the pieces. I know I need a new ignitor
spring and mica washers. The stationary shaft is probably useable. I'm not
sure if I'll make a new one yet or not.

The points have me scratching my head though. On the moveable shaft the
point looks like it is part of the cast piece. It doesn't appear to be
soldered on. I'm not sure what to do with it. File it flat and use it? Drill
it out and replace it?

On the stationary shaft the point looks like a sleeve that was slid onto the
end of the shaft, then the shaft peened over to hold it on. On this 'sleeve'
there are two depressions. One is deep and the other is shallow. Why are
there two of them? When I took it apart the shallow depression was lining up
with the point on the moveable shaft. It appears that I can clean this
'sleeve' up really good and possibly use it.  Pictures of the ignitor and
points can be seen here:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/galloway/galloway.html

Any suggestions, comments, ideas, tips?????

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA