[SEL] Baker Monitor update and Model T buzz coil question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Aug 15 11:06:42 PDT 2005

Hi Curt,

> In addition to cleaning the contacts on the buzz coil, I've played with
> adjustment screw on top. There is a fairly wide range that it will work
> within but if anyone knows the proper way to set this I'd sure like to
> know how.
> This inconsistency must have been a real challenge for drivers of Model T's!

I just emailed you a page of buzz coil adjustment instructions copied from
an early Dyke's.  However there are several things that are critical to
your success with these adjustments.  When doing the adjustment of the
"buzz", there is reference made to the sound of an angry hornet.  In order
to get properly "calibrated" I suggest sending Devin out into the
woods with a sharp stick.  Have him find a large hornet's nest.  He should
then poke the nest with the stick repeatedly.  You both should note the
sound that the angry hornets make.

Now go back to the garage and adjust the buzz coil.  However, precise
adjustment requires further calibration.  Observing how the engine runs
and how the spark looks are too subjective.  You need a quantitative
measure.  Disconnect the plug lead from the plug.  Have Devin hold the
lead in one hand while placing the other on the engine.  As you adjust
the tremblor you'll notice that Devin jumps into the air.  Measure the
height of each jump and adjust accordingly.

Remember, you want to achieve that "angry hornet" sound and a high
Devin-jump.  Good luck!!

See ya at Portland!  Arnie

PS - If Devin becomes "physically unable to perform" his part in this
process, I'm sure that Missy would be a trooper and would "step up" for
the cause!!