[SEL] Baker Monitor update and Model T buzz coil question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Aug 15 09:29:23 PDT 2005

Aside from a little paint touch up work, Devin's Baker Monitor/pump jack
is finished. Got the wooden pump arms finished on Saturday and ran it
Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday. Have been pleasantly surprised
that no oil is sloshing over the wings on the main bearing caps. I put 1
quart of oil in the engine and it seems to be sloshing plenty up top,
but it is all staying inside the crankcase.
I'd like to say it ran without a glitch, but it didn't. I've come to the
conclusion that there are some timing problems, specifically related to
the Model T buzz coil. With any electro-mechanical device there will be
some time delay upon activation. That's not a problem if it is a
consistent delay.
I've slowed this engine down a bit and as you all know slow engines have
to have accurate ignition. Early ignition will reverse the engine.
Yesterday I played with setting the timing closer to TDC to account for
the slow speed and the inconsistent buzzing of the buzz coil.
In addition to cleaning the contacts on the buzz coil, I've played with
adjustment screw on top. There is a fairly wide range that it will work
within but if anyone knows the proper way to set this I'd sure like to
know how.
This inconsistency must have been a real challenge for drivers of Model T's!
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC