[SEL] Re: SEL Digest, Vol 17, Issue 8

Adam Cottrill adamcottrill at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 8 03:34:20 PDT 2005

Hi Jeff,
           Thanks for taking the time to write. Im not sure I quite understand your concern. Again please bear with me!

Thanks for sharing. My feeling is you have a serious problem there, and
it's not getting better. Arnie Fero brought it up some time ago, and to
date there have been no answers. How many accidents/incidents have
occurred that required payment on insurance?

As far as I know there have not been any. (but thats my understanding... there was a tractor that rolled over a little girl a while back im not sure of the outcome of that anyone know?)

Still no answer, but therates are going up.

The rate has gone from $12 to $13...  = $1 per member increase!!! Thats not bad!!! This includes public liability and personal accident

The day that the short one can't go behind the rope,
ride and steer a steam tractor, and ride the pulling sled will be the
end for me. Hope it never gets up here. Best of luck getting some common
sense back in your part of the world.

The logic behind this is to reduce the risk of an accident occuring (basically so someone doesnt get hurt) and the need for payout or subquent legal actions.... to me this is common sense!

Surly you have insurance yourself its the same thing!!! I would suspect you would have insurance on your house and car "just in case". If this is the case and you have your car insured please tell me how its different from the NHMA stuff????

Also reading my report you would have noticed that the NHMA Guidelines are exactly that GUIDELINES they ARE NOT terms of insurance (how many of your house and car policys give GUIDELINES!!! as aposed to TERMS!!)

Simply put the Policy is a Risk Managment policy yes you can run with out fences and drive trators all over the place... but if something did happen the following would occur.

1. The policy would be totally with drawn
2. The policy as you mentioned would increase in cost
3. The terns of the policy would change

It is possible that the same would happen if an accident occured following the guidelines to the letter, no one is denying that.

However the insurance company looks apon that as for lack of a better term "bad luck" and the pemium will not increase nor will the policy be withdrawn as the insurance company feels the NHMA is a "good risk"

I hope this answers some questions for you, as always I am willing to answer to the best of my understanding either here of off list.

Kind regards,
                  Adam