[SEL] broken cam gear

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Aug 4 16:33:04 PDT 2005

Jeff,

    I agree that safety is always a concern.  But, if the repair is done
right, it will hold.  If someone doesn't have confidence in their
welding, don't do it.  Luckily I grew up working in my Dad's machine
shop (I've probably burned hundreds of pounds of rods just "playing").
With welding, practice is probably 90% of the ability to do it and I've
had a bunch of it.  The gear I repaired is still working.  But, you
bring up an interesting thought.  All of us have purchased or traded for
old iron that has been painted and some of it "slicked up".  In many and
most cases, we don't know what's under that paint.  Maybe no repair,
maybe a major one (what if a flywheel has had a major repair?).  If we
are unsure, should we take all the paint off to fully check it for
safety's sake?  (I guess this is why I like to get them rusty)

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY