[SEL] broken cam gear

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Aug 4 15:57:58 PDT 2005

Tom,

    It all depends on the breaks and how they transverse the gear, but I
see no reason it couldn't be welded.  I fixed one that was in 2 pieces a
few years ago.  I took a large clamp (like a hose clamp except it went
around a 8 inch rubber boot) and clamped the pieces together.  I then
took a die grinder and v'ed the cracks.  I then preheated with a torch
over the entire gear, being careful not to overheat one particular
area.  I don't know how hot I got it but a drop of water would sizzle
good.  I then electric welded the cracks with Palco 808 rods.  After
cooling I took the band off and it worked fine.  There was no gear noise
out of the ordinary.  A 2 piece repair might be easier than a 3 piece
repair like you need.  But, I'd give it a try before having a new gear made.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY