[SEL] Portland , IN 2005

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Wed Aug 3 14:37:10 PDT 2005

> As a right-pondian, I always think of Portland, Oregon - I
> have no idea why.
>
> Regards
> Peter Scales

Probably because Portland Oregon is the largest of the Portland's in the
U.S.

Other than Portland Oregon, and Portland Maine, most of the other
Portlands are pretty well unknown to the general public.  In the old
iron hobby "Portland" always refers to Portland Indiana.

A little trivia on Portland Oregon.  It is actually named after Portland
Maine.

The city name was decided by the toss of a coin.  The winner was from
Portland Maine and so Portland became the name.  The losing choice was
Boston, since the other person was from Boston Mass.  So the toss of a
coin caused there to be one more Portland instead of another Boston.

George