[SEL] Making a spring: pictures of commercial winder

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Tue Aug 2 19:00:26 PDT 2005

http://www.apluscomputer.com/atis/images/springwinder1.jpg

http://www.apluscomputer.com/atis/images/springwinder2.jpg

The tool says Brookstone on the handle.  I could not find it on the
Brookstone web site.

For reference, that's a 5/16 bolt I'm using for a form.

On the disassembled picture, the star wheel is inverted from its operating
position.  It has different thicknesses cut in each of the indentations so
that you can use this thickness as the space between the windings and thus
it's easier to get a neat job.

This winder doesn't apply the pressure quite as close to the form as I think
it should, but it is a consistent pressure so at least the spring will be
uniform.  The spring will unwind a little and be larger than the form by an
unnecessary amount, IMHO.

For experimenting, consider using mild steel until you get the hang of it.
Winding spring steel has its own additional challenges.

No time for making the home-made one this evening.  Heading down to father
in law's place, maybe he'll have one of the fencing tools in his shop that I
can picture for all.  Or maybe I'll be bored down there and make one in his
shop if he hasn't got projects sufficient lined up to entertain me.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.