[SEL] compression

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Wed Apr 27 23:45:11 PDT 2005

I had a mail from Larry Evans asking about comp ratios on models the other
day.
This kicked me into gear to finally do something about the Domestic
Stovepipe model.
I built it 11 years ago and has always been a pig. Barely able to turn it
over, bites the finger that feeds it and hits like Hercules's hammer!
Leaping up like a startled cat every firing stroke.
So today I pulled the piston and took 1/8 inch off all over and then took
off an extra 3/32 inside the ring base diameter.
Reassembled it and flicked it with no worries. Choked it and away it went
with no leaping, etc.
A totally different engine now.  It only took me 11 years to sort it!  <G>

So lads, a high comp ratio on old stuff is not a good thing.
Slow running and 5 to 1 or even lower seems ok to me.

Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au
http://www.oldengine.org/members/randmingold