[SEL] Westinghouse DC generator..connecting leads to carbonbrushes

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 11:05:34 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/25/2005 10:45:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
George_Best at adp.com writes:

Ron,

After reading that description, I'm sure glad I don't  need to attach the
wires to the carbon brushes!  Luckily, the bushes  fit in a hold and are
secured with a simple thumb screw.

I also do a  lot of reading in the throne room and have a handy drawer
full of misc  books and magazines ;-)

George

Hi George,
I, too, am glad I don't have to make up any mercury copper amalgam.   It
looks like a tedious process but I am glad to know it could be done in the  home
shop.

When we had Western Auto stores in abundance, and I needed brushes, I could
go through their stock of brushes and either find the exact brush I wanted,
or,  one slightly larger.  If larger I would lay out a sheet of sandpaper  on a
flat surface, and with figure 8 motion, reduce the brush to fit.

Western Auto at that time provide soft graphite or carbon brushes which  were
used in auto generators, and, harder brushes that looked like a mix of
carbon and copper.  I suspect they were a mix of the mercury copper amalgam  as
described in the old book.  The harder brushes were used in starter  motors and
had to carry a stronger current.

As you are no doubt aware, higher voltage DC can hurt you more than the  same
voltage in AC.  Your generator sounds like a fun project and I hope to  see
it once you get it going.

Do you remember seeing pictures of an engine show in Australia several  years
back where the exhibitors had, for the most part, brought lighting
generators and lights?  They ran the show into the evening and early dark  hours,
lighting the grounds with the generators on display.  It was a  really pretty
picture and reminded me of, as a boy, going to the small carnivals  that would set
up in a farmer's hay field and had to provide all their own  power.  I think I
was as impressed with the engines and generators as the  rides so my iron
fever affliction was early onset.  :>)

Regards,
Ron