[SEL] Re: Pinned Rings - Problems or Not? now back to nutz

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 04:35:47 PDT 2005

On 4/25/05, edd payne <edsingns at winsoft.net.au> wrote:
> Now I am confused.I went to put some square nuts on today and they were
> chamfered on both sides.So then I decided to use some hex nuts instead and
> dam they were also chamfered on both sides .What do I do now I am so
> confused I can't stand it!It would seem that I will be right and wrong at
> the same time if I use them.
> EDD PAYNE

It is a matter of age as much as anything. Square nuts with a chamfer
on one side only were used where the whole assembly was painted over
after assembly. The second chamfer or a washer was added for those
items which were pre-painted and the unchamfered side would tear the
paint surface.

We can still buy square nuts with single chamfer, even in Metric
threads if we want them, and the old Coach Bolts are still available.
Our local nut & bolt supplier has excellent contacts for some of this
stuff.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes