[SEL] Preservation Opportunity? Weirton's Tod Engine!

Tod Engine todengine at zoominternet.net
Sun Apr 24 08:11:10 PDT 2005

I have recently discovered that the 42" x 66" x 60" twin tandem compound reversing blooming mill engine at Weirton Steel (now Mittal Steel) is still in existance in the plant.  I photographed this engine on October 27, 1997.  Let me first say that this engine is big, and if I say its big then you can be assured that its massive to anyone else!!   Our Tod engine weighs about 260 tons and is about 27' x 47'.  This engine weighs over 500 tons and is about 30' x 60' in size.

This engine is historically significant because it is the last engine built at the William Tod plant.  William Tod Co. was purchased in 1916 by United Engineering and Foundry and United continued to build engines until 1921 when this engine was built and shipped.  It represents the apex of blooming mill engine design and incorporated several novel features and a slightly different design than previous Tod Twin tandem compound reversing engines.

I will attempt to contact the plant management to determine their level of interest in preserving this engine, either in whole or in part. I don't know what options the steel plant might be willing to consider.  The best scenario would be for the company to commit to leave it in place for the forseeable future.  Obviously leaving it in situ would be the best solution, but its in the middle of their plant sandwiched between the blooming mill and open hearth buildings.  Removal of the entire engine would be doable and within the capabilities of the Tod Engine Foundation but would require the financial backing of the steel plant or another donor to make it happen.  The third option would be the salvage of certain parts for display at the Tod Engine Heritage Park in Youngstown.  Such parts might include cylinders, connecting rods and valve gear.

This is an exciting opportunity to perhaps preserve what would no doubt be the largest stationary steam engine in North America.

I have posted photos of my visit to this engine on October 27, 1997 and a couple of other photos to our webshots album at http://community.webshots.com/album/329486197RnPbjB

I'll keep everyone posted on any developments.

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Engine Heritage Park
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
http://www.todengine.org/
Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine