[SEL] Westinghouse DC generator

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Fri Apr 22 15:25:16 PDT 2005

> checks use your analog meter and check for wet windings by using the
> highest megohm scale. Just choose one side of each of the 4 pole
> windings to the frame. Only touch one of the meter leads or
> you will be reading you bodies resistance. There should be infinite resistance
if
> all is dry. If not a baking in the wife's oven at about 200°F
> for a few days should dry it all out.  :-)

Hi Curt,
I'd like to put another spin on the issue...

First, a little analog meter is probably running off nine volts.  You might be
reading a winding as good, but when the winding is powered up with full voltage,
it might be faulty.  A megohm meter is a better tool to use.  It will pump a few
hundred volts through the winding and could detect a faulty winding when a low
voltage meter will not.

Secondly, a bad winding is not necessarily bad.  A few years back I got my boss
to buy me a really nice digital megger.  You know how fun it is to have new
toys... I had to play with it.  I measured every motor and generator in town.
Shockingly, most showed low resistance, in the neighborhood of a 200k.  Rarely
did I find a generator or motor that was over one megohm.  Yet, all these motors
and generators were in service.

So the conclusion is that if you use a megger and read a winding as good, you
can be pretty sure it's good.  If you use a small multimeter or megger and get
readings of a few 10's of k or higher, you can't be sure of anything.  Only if
you get a crazy-low resistance of a few k or lower can you say with reasonble
certainty that a winding is bad.

You can get nice old meggers (megohm meters) off of ebay for under fifty bucks.
They're very useful in working on magnetos, especially for checking capacitor
leakage.

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
mailto:rskinner at rustyiron.com