[SEL] Westinghouse DC generator

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Fri Apr 22 07:47:20 PDT 2005

On our way to Tulare last week I bought this generator from a friend.
Supposedly it was used around Lake Tahoe.  Unfortunately, that's about
all I know of it's history.

I've loaded some pictures on my Epson album:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4019318&a=31730100&f=0

While this isn't an engine, it is related in that it has a flat belt
pulley for being powered by a gas engine.  I would like to hook it up
some time, but I've already got too many unfinished projects to start
another one.  So I'll most likely clean it up a little and let it sit
for awhile.

Based on the patent dates on this generator, and the patent dates on the
generator at Mt Wilson (Larry Evans sent me some pictures), I'm saying
this generator was built some time between 1892 and 1896.

Anyone have experience working on early generators and have some advise
on how to go about testing/cleaning/using this?

WAIT George