[SEL] Good Day Today!

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 17:16:33 PDT 2005

Among the several Maytag parts I recently acquired was a Model 92  cylinder
with a stuck piston.  The previous owner told me that his father  had tried to
remove the piston with no success.  On Monday, the first thing  that I did was
to fill the combustion chamber with automatic transmission fluid  (ATF).
Then, I installed a 1/2" to 1/8" pipe bushing (with a grease  zerk) in the spark
plug hole.  Next, I used a grease gun to apply  some internal pressure.
Following this, I applied a little heat with a  propane torch and let the unit sit
until this morning.  I applied more  grease and heat.  Then, the piston
started to move.  Once the piston  got to exhaust port opening,  ATF started to leak
out.  I made a  cover plate for the port and able to continue until the
intake port was  starting to uncover.  I, then, removed the pipe bushing, forced
the  piston back into the cylinder.  Then I started the repressurizing and
heating sequence again.  This time when the piston got to intake port  opening, I
stopped using the grease gun and installed the J-hook the tool I  made to pull
out the piston.
The piston is, now, soaking in carburetor cleaner to unstick  the rings.  The
cylinder will, of course, need to be honed.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA