[SEL] Skids for Heavy Items

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Apr 20 15:42:05 PDT 2005

> It is also set up to be pulled from the head end which is
> lighter obviously than the flywheel end. Is there an angle
> that you guys have used on the ends of your skids that
> works on heavier items?

Hi Luke,
After seeing some pictures from an English engine show, I became enamored with
their use of "platform skids."  I put such a skid together for our Hornsby, seen
at http://engines.rustyiron.com/cottonwood05   It worked out so well that I'm
going to make one or two more such skids.  Part of the attraction is the
transverse tubes into which can be inserted axles, and then wheels attached.
Such a skid might work well for your shingle mill.

Rob