[SEL] Tulare Pictures

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Apr 20 15:26:28 PDT 2005

>  Get a digital camera and spend a week or so taking shots and
> evaluate what  you see and what you shoot, that's the only way
>to go. Books I don't find to be that useful,

I've found books containing photograph collections to be extremely useful.
Nowadays you could probably get just as good an education by searching the web.

Some photographers' work I've found to be helpful are David Meunch, Joseph
Meunch, Ansel Adams, Greg Epperson, Annie Leibovitz, Robert Maplethorpe... Look
at them all, see how they compose their subject, how they make you look where
they want you to look, how they use the light...

By studying the work of pros, you'll get ideas on how you want your own photos
to look.  Also remember that these folks spend days and dozens of rolls of film
just to get one shot.  If mere mortals like you and me can get one good shot off
a roll, we should be happy.

In regards to shooting engines at shows, learn to settle for mediocrity.   We
have no control over backgrounds, lighting and clutter, so you're very lucky
when you get a fabulous shot.

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
mailto:rskinner at rustyiron.com