[SEL] Skids for Heavy Items

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:04:57 PDT 2005

I'm thinking about building a skid for my shingle mill.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/shinglemill/shinglemill.html

I'm going to mount it on two 6" x 10" beams with cross braces to keep the
skid square. The 10" side of the beams will be against the ground. I know I
should cut an angle on the bottom of the beams or it will just burry itself
into the ground when pulling it around. I made some temporary skids for my
big 9hp Sattley one time and it seems I cut them at 45 degrees. It seemed
like too sharp of an angle and it just burried itself and didn't stay up on
top of the ground. But I was pulling it flywheels first which was the heavy
end. I looked at Craig Prucha's web pages and found this picture:

http://www.antique-engine.com/swan/sswan409.jpg

It looks like his skids are cut at a 45 on the ends and the skids are on a
heavy item. It is also set up to be pulled from the head end which is
lighter obviously than the flywheel end. Is there an angle that you guys
have used on the ends of your skids that works on heavier items?

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA